Languages and Foreign Cultures
Natural language processing, artificial intelligence, machine learning, linguistics, cognitive sciences
12 July 2021
, updated on
14 January 2022
Langues, textes, traitements informatiques et cognition (Lattice)
RC, bureau Tubio10
1, rue Maurice Arnoux 92120 Montrouge
01 44 326623
I work at LATTICE, a research unit specialized in linguistics and natural language processing (NLP) at the Ecole normale supérieure, in Paris. I also hold a PRAIRIE Fellowship on NLP and digital humanities (PRAIRIE is the Paris Artificial Intelligence Institute).
Field of research
I work on the contribution of natural language processing (NLP) techniques to the analysis of large corpora in literature and social sciences. My current projects mainly focus on the automatic production of poetry (using combinatorial and neural network methods, see the Oupoco project) and on the development of an NLP toolbox for the analysis of large literary corpora (for the French part of the BookNLP project). I teach an introductory course to natural language processing in the PSL Master in Digital Humanities, and I supervise students (at the Master and PhD levels) working at the intersection of digital humanities and NLP.
I have recently launched various initiatives (a intensive course, a working group and collaborative projects) around the impact of artificial intelligence on society. I am part of the Global AI Ethics Consortium (GAIEC) and occasionally publish articles on this topic in TheConversation.
Cours d’introduction au TAL, Master Humanités numériques de PSL
Participation au cours d’introduction aux Humanités Numérique de l’ENS
- Barbara McGillivray, Thierry Poibeau, Pablo Ruiz Fabo. Digital Humanities and Natural Language Processing : ‘’Je t'aime... Moi non plus". Digital Humanities Quaterly (DHQ). Vol.14/2. 2020.
- Thierry Poibeau. Babel 2.0 : où va la traduction automatique ?. Odile Jacob, Paris, 228 pages, 2019
- Mika Hämäläinen, Niko Partanen, Khalid Alnajjar, Jack Rueter et Thierry Poibeau. Automatic, Dialect Adaptation in Finnish and its Effect on Perceived Creativity. International Conf. on Computational Creativity (ICCC), Coimbra, Portugal. 2020.
- Thierry Poibeau, Mylène Maignant, Frédérique Mélanie-Becquet, Clément Plancq, Matthieu Raffard, Mathilde Roussel, Mathilde Saurat. OuPoCo, the combinatorial poetry workbench (L'ouvroir de poésie combinatoire). Digital Humanities Conference (DH 2020). Ottawa, Canada. 2020.
- Ruiz Fabo, Pablo, Clara Martinez Canton, Thierry Poibeau and Elena Gonzalez-Blanco.(2017). Enjambment detection in a large diachronic corpus of Spanish sonnets. LaTeCH-CLFL 2017 (Joint SIGHUM Workshop on Computational Linguistics for Cultural Heritage, Social Sciences, Humanities and Literature). Vancouver, Canada, 2017.